Social media apps are always finding new ways for users to engage with their audiences. Instagram has several different features that you can use to do this, including polls.
If you haven’t already participated in the trend of using polls on your Instagram stories, now is a great time to try. Continue reading this blog post to learn all about polls on Instagram and how they work.
How to Create a Poll on Instagram
Polls on Instagram allow you to engage with your friends and followers by asking them questions and receiving feedback in return. Whether it’s a question you ask to learn more about them or a question about the kind of content you post, you’ll be sure to get answers that help you out.
If you frequently use Instagram and Instagram stories, then creating a poll should be quite simple. To get started, follow these steps:
- Open the Instagram app.
- Depending on the update you have on your phone, either click “Story” from the drop-down menu or click “Story” on the menu located at the bottom of your screen.
- Upload the photo you want to post from your camera roll or take your own using the Instagram camera.
- Click on the sticker icon at the top of your screen (it’s the third option on the toolbar).
- Click on the poll sticker.
- Type in the question you want to ask and the answers you’re allowing your followers to choose from.
- Optional: Change the color of the poll by tapping the color wheel at the top of the screen.
- Click on “Done,” then position your poll on the screen wherever you want it.
- Post the story by clicking on “Your story” in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen or by clicking “Send to” then “Share.”
How to View Poll Results
Once you leave the poll up on your account for some time, you’ll probably become curious as to what the results are. If you want to view the results of your poll, follow these steps:
- Open the Instagram app.
- Navigate to the story you posted with the poll on it, either by clicking it on the story bar on the homepage or by going to your profile and clicking on it there.
- Once you’re on the same screen as the story you posted, swipe up.
- This will show how many viewers you had, who voted on your poll, and how many votes each of the options you gave as answers received.
- If you want to share the results of your poll with your followers, click on the “Share results” button for them to see.
Ideas for Instagram Polls
If you want to engage with your followers through posting a poll, but don’t know what to ask, that’s ok! Here are some ideas you can ask your followers next time you want to post a poll:
- Yes/No Poll: Ask your followers a yes or no question that involves a specific topic. If your Instagram account is centered around a certain niche, try asking questions that pertain to it.
- Should I ___? YES/NO
- Do you like ___? YES/NO
- Would you be interested in ___? YES/NO
- This or That Poll: Ask your followers which option they prefer by doing this or that/would you rather poll.
- Which do you prefer? X or X
- Which do you enjoy more? X or X
- What would you rather see more of? X or X
- Sliding Poll: Another feature you can use that has to do with polls is the slider sticker. If you want to focus on getting an answer for one specific question, then using the slider might be useful.
- Ask a question like “How much do you like seeing (a certain) kind of content. Your followers will then be able to slide the sticker to show how they feel about it.
Instagram has several different features you can use to help you engage with your audiences. Whether it’s through posting content as an actual post or on your story, the option to expand your audience is always present on Instagram.
Next time you want feedback that can help your account, try using the poll feature to see what your friends and followers think!