Instagram is well known for a lot of things, but filters might remain on top. It almost seems illegal to post content that doesn’t have some sort of filter attached to it.
Learn all about filters on Instagram and how they’ll make your next post stand out.
How to Get Filters on Instagram
Depending on the type of content you want to post, you’ll have to take different steps to obtain filters. The most common type of content users add filters too are stories. Whether you use the default or search for your own is entirely up to you.
The number of filters you can choose from on Instagram seems endless. So, next time you go to post a story on Instagram, follow these steps to use one:
- Open the Instagram app.
- Depending on the update you have on your phone, either click “Story” from the drop-down menu or click “Story” on the menu located at the bottom of your screen.
- You’ll notice a bunch of circles appear on the bottom of your screen next to the camera button. These are filters you can use for your story.
- Scroll through to see which one you want to use or scroll to the left until you see “Browse effects.”
- On the browse effects page, Instagram will show you a gallery of more effects and filters you can use.
- If you have an idea of what the filter you want to use is called, search for it in the search bar at the top right-hand corner of your screen.
- Once you find a filter you like, click on the “Try it” button in the bottom left-hand corner of your screen.
- If you like an effect or filter, but don’t want to use it at the moment, you can save it to use later on. Click on the Save button after clicking on the filter or effect you want to save.
You’ll notice that the filters you save for later on will appear on your list of filters when you open your camera to post a story. They’ll show up on the left side of the camera button, so scroll through them to see which one you want to use next time.
How to Add Filters to Instagram Post
Although most users probably don’t use Instagram’s list of filters for their posts anymore, some might. There are so many other editing apps out there that creators will use to edit their pictures. So, if you’re not a fan of the Clarendon, Gingham, or Moon filters that Instagram offers, try using these editing apps instead:
If you like to keep it old school and want to stick to using Instagram’s filters, that’s fine too. The only bad part about adding filters to posts is that it doesn’t follow the same format as it does for adding filters to stories. This just means that you won’t be able to browse through a list of filters to add to your post.
To add a filter that Instagram offers to your next post, follow these steps:
- Open the Instagram app.
- Depending on the update you have on your phone, either click “Post” from the drop-down menu or click “Post” on the menu located at the bottom of your screen.
- Choose the photo you want to post and click “Next.”
- The screen you’re on now is where you can scroll through filters that you can add to your post. If you want to take editing your photo a step further, then click on “Edit” in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.
- Here is where you’ll be able to adjust the brightness, color, shadows, sharpness, etc. Just click on what you want to enhance and use the scroll bar to edit.
In social media today, it’s rare you’ll see a post that doesn’t have some kind of filter on it. If you feel like you don’t want to add any to your next post, don’t! There aren’t any rules that say you have to follow what social media’s expectations are for your next post.
But, now that you know all about filters and effects on Instagram, try it out next time you post content and want it to stand out!