In the same way that other actions on Instagram can be blocked, comments can too. You should be aware of the few reasons why this might happen to you and take note to avoid it from happening. Here’s all you need to know about what “Comments on this post have been limited” means on Instagram and why.
Instagram is a platform made for users to comment, like, and share each other’s posts. But with those actions, come certain rules that users will have to follow to be able to use them.
When “Comments on this post have been limited” appears, there can be a couple of things that would make this popup. Instagram might refrain you from adding a comment to someone’s post or adding a comment to any posts at all.
Below is everything you need to know about why your Instagram comments might be limited.
What does “Comments on this post have been limited” mean on Instagram?
There are a couple of reasons that can limit your comments on Instagram.
- The first is an easy fix, just make sure that your Instagram app is updated to the latest version. Instagram is constantly updating its platform, so if you’re behind on a few updates it can be the reason that you aren’t able to comment.
- Checking your internet connection is another easy fix. If you have a poor network connection, your comments might not go through causing a restriction.
- The next might be because you used too many hashtags in your comment. Instagram’s limit for hashtags is 30, so if you go over that number it can be the reason your comment isn’t posting. Instagram detects comments that have a lot of hashtags as spam, which leads to a blocked comment.
- Mentioning more than five other users in your comment is the most common way that people get their comments blocked. Instagram allows you to tag 5 other accounts but any more will make your comment get flagged as spam. This, of course, will end up getting your comments blocked.
- The owner of the post might have limited the comments to their Close Friends, which won’t allow you to comment unless you are included in their list.
How to choose who has permission to comment on your Instagram posts
Restricting other users is the best way to prevent someone from commenting on your Instagram posts. Here’s what you have to do to restrict users:
- Click on their profile.
- Tap the menu bar in the top right-hand corner.
- Click “Restrict.”
- Click “Dismiss.”
After choosing who you want to restrict on Instagram, their comments won’t be visible to other users, just between you and them.
How do I comment on a limited post?
If you’re faced with not being able to comment on someone’s post, start by following that user first. Instagram allows you to set your comments only for your followers, so if you aren’t following someone this can be why. Additionally, if a user restricts their comments only to the people that they’re following, then you won’t be able to see them unless you are followed by that user. If this is the case, there isn’t any other way for you to be commenting on their posts.
After seeing the “Comments on this post have been limited” error message on Instagram, you can be sure that the user has certain settings in place about who can or can’t comment on their posts. Most of the time it isn’t necessarily a bad thing – the user probably just wants to filter out any spam or negative comments they might get.
The best way to keep yourself from being blocked from commenting on Instagram is to:
- Ensure you’re following the user whose post you want to comment on.
- Avoid commenting anything that Instagram might pick up as spam.
- Lean towards positive comments instead of negative comments.