If you use social media frequently, you’re probably familiar with profile pictures and the purpose of them. Cover photos serve the same purpose as a profile picture, just in a different form.
When users come across your Facebook profile, your cover photo is one of the first things they’ll notice. They’re much bigger than your profile picture, making them stand out a little more. So, use a cover photo to introduce your visitors to either you or your brand in the first few seconds of them coming across your profile.
We’ll go over what exactly is a cover photo, how to make and upload one, along with some other tips you can use.
What are Cover Photos?
A cover photo is an image you use on your Facebook profile along with your profile picture. It’s the larger banner that introduces who you are which appears exclusively on your Facebook timeline.
Since cover photos are bigger in size, users often use this to their advantage by adding a little bit more about themselves. Whether your Facebook account is for personal use or business use, your cover photo is a good way to explain who you or your brand are visually.
The only way your friends on Facebook can see your cover photo is if they visit your profile directly or on their timeline if you change your cover photo.
How do you create a Facebook Cover Photo?
Whether you’re creating your cover photo on Photoshop, Canva, or just using your own pictures, you’ll want to ensure it will fit within Facebook’s dimensions.
The current Facebook cover dimensions are 400 x 150 pixels. If you make a cover photo that is bigger or smaller than that, chances are your picture will end up being bad quality.
Facebook advises using PNG files to ensure you end up with the best quality. When picking photos to include in your cover photo, ensure that it represents you or your brand in a good way, as it is one of the first things users will see when they click on your profile.
How do you upload a Facebook Cover Photo?
After you have the cover photo you want to use for your Facebook profile, you’ll want to upload it for your friends to see.
Here’s how to upload a Facebook cover photo using the mobile app:
- Open the Facebook app.
- Click the three horizontal line menu bar in the bottom right-hand corner.
- Click on your name at the top of the menu bar where it says “See your profile.”
- You’ll notice your profile picture is a circle and your cover photo is the rectangular banner behind it. Click the camera icon in the bottom right-hand corner of your cover photo.
- Click “Upload Photo.”
- Drag your cover photo to the position you want it in, then click “Save.”
Here’s how to upload a Facebook cover photo using a desktop:
- Log in to your Facebook account.
- Click on your profile in the upper right-hand corner (where your name is displayed).
- In the bottom right-hand corner of your cover photo, click on “Edit cover photo,” then “Select photo.”
- Choose your photo, adjust it to how you want it to appear, then click “Save changes.”
What you want your cover photo to be is entirely up to you. Just keep in mind it will be one of the first things users will see when they click on your profile, so choose wisely.