The process of deleting your TikTok account is fairly simple. It’s up to you whether you want to go through the app or web to do so, but no worries, we’ll explain how to do both.
How to Delete TikTok Account
Luckily, TikTok makes deleting accounts accessible through the app, which is probably what the majority of users would want to use anyway.
To get started on deleting your TikTok account, follow these steps:
- Open the TikTok app.
- Click on your profile icon in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.
- Tap the three horizontal line menu bar in the top right-hand corner of the screen.
- Click “Settings and privacy.”
- Click “Manage account.”
- Click “Delete account.”
- Choose from the list of reasons as to why you’re leaving TikTok, or click “Skip” in the top right-hand corner.
- If you want to download your TikTok data, then click the red “Request download” button.
- Click “Continue” after deciding if you want to go through with deleting your account and follow the remaining steps to officially delete your TikTok account.
Once you finish this process, your TikTok account will essentially be deactivated for 30 days, but it won’t be shown to the public. If you decide within that 30 days that you want your account back, just log back in using your username and password.
After the 30 days is up, then your account will be deleted permanently, so be sure to make a final decision before the end.
How to Delete TikTok Account on Desktop
TikTok also lets you delete your TikTok account using a desktop. Follow these simple steps to get started on the process:
- Open tiktok.com in your web browser.
- Log in to your TikTok account.
- Click on your profile picture in the top right-hand corner of the screen.
- Click “Settings.”
- Click the “Delete” button under Account Control and follow the steps to complete the process.
How to Recover Deleted TikTok Account
As we’ve mentioned before, you’ll have 30 days after you deactivate your TikTok account to recover it. Once the 30 days are up, you will no longer have access to your account because it will no longer exist.
If you decide before then that you want your account back, retrieving it is a simple process. Just log back into your account where a message saying your account’s deactivation is pending will appear. Click on the “Reactivate” button, which will let you log back in and stop the deletion process.
Why won’t TikTok let me delete my account?
Sometimes, TikTok stops you from being able to delete your account. No worries, though, this doesn’t mean that you’ll have to keep your account.
To figure out why your account isn’t able to be deleted, first try closing out the app and try again. If there still seems to be a glitch, make sure your app is updated to the latest version.
If even after that the option still isn’t available for you, double-check the contact information that you have entered in your profile. After ensuring everything is correct, attempt to delete your account once again. Sometimes your contact information is the reason TikTok prohibits you from doing certain things within the app.
Needing to take a break from social media should never be looked at as a bad thing in today’s world. If you feel like you want to make a change in the way you use social media, try deleting or deactivating some of your accounts.
And who knows, you might just be able to find some peace in it after all!