If you frequently use TikTok, then you’ve probably heard a couple of terms that aren’t used on other social media apps. A “Stitch” on TikTok is one that we’ll be discussing today as it is becoming quite popular as the app grows.
To learn all about what a “Stitch” is and how it works, continue reading. We’ll explain everything you need to know about the term, along with some other things you might find helpful.
How to Stitch on TikTok
For starters, a “Stitch” on TikTok is when you take a portion of someone else’s video and make it a part of your own. Stitches on TikTok can only be five seconds long and not every video can be Stitched.
TikTok allows you to turn the feature on or off for either one video or all of your videos, but we’ll get more into that a little later.
If another user has their Stitch feature turned on, then being able to incorporate their video into yours will be a simple process. To get started on Stitching TikToks, follow these steps:
- Open the TikTok app.
- Find the video you want to Stitch.
- Click on the share icon on the right-hand side of the screen.
- On the bottom row, scroll to the left until you see “Stitch.”
- If you are unable to click on the “Stitch” option, it’s probably because the user who posted the video does not have the feature turned on. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about Stitching the video if they do not have it turned on unless you ask them to turn them on, of course.
- Choose the five-second portion you want to be included in your video and click “Next.”
- Finish recording, editing, and posting your video.
How to Manage Stitch Settings on TikTok
Again, if you’re unable to click on the Stitch option for someone else’s video, then it’s probably because they don’t have their Stitch feature turned on and there isn’t really anything you can do about it.
But, if you’re the video creator and you want your friends, followers, and viewers to be able to Stitch your videos, then you’ll probably want to turn the Stitch setting on prior to posting the video.
- Open the TikTok app.
- Make sure your account is public, otherwise you won’t be allowed to turn the Stitch feature on.
- Next, go to your profile.
- Click on the three horizontal line menu bar in the top right-hand corner of the screen.
- Click “Settings and privacy” then “Privacy.”
- Under Safety, click on “Stitch.”
- Under “Who can Stitch with your videos,” tap on “Everyone.”
- Now, record and edit your video how you want.
- On the final edit page, toggle the Stitch button on.
Now, users will be able to Stitch your video with theirs.
Why won’t TikTok let me Stitch videos?
If you’re having a hard time Stitching videos, there could be a few things that are affecting it.
- Not every TikTok video will have the Stitch feature enabled. This means that the video will only be able to be Stitched if the creator has their settings for it turned on.
- Your addition to the video that you make needs to be longer than one second for it to work. Anything shorter than a second will not be considered long enough for a Stitch.
- You’re only allowed to Stitch five seconds of someone else’s video, so you won’t be able to record anything longer than that if you need a longer portion of the video.
In addition to a Stitch on TikTok being a fun way to make and edit videos, it also is an effective tool you can use to expand your audience which can potentially make you go viral.
If you’re looking for more information on what it means to go viral and how to increase your chances of that happening, follow this link.
Overall, it’s totally up to you whether or not you want to Stitch another person’s video. But, if you’re wondering how you can mix up your content, try Stitching if you haven’t already and see how well it does.