If you’re one to still use Snapchat and decided that it’s time to give your password an update, you’ve come across the right blog post. We’ll explain how you can change both your regular password and your My Eyes Only password, along with another tip you might find helpful.
How to Change Password on Snapchat
Luckily, you’ll be able to change your password on Snapchat at any time you would like. There are a few ways you can go about the process, so you can pick whatever option works for you best.
If you’re logged into the app already and you want to change your password, follow these steps:
- Open the Snapchat app.
- Click on your Bitmoji icon in the top left-hand corner of the screen.
- Click on the settings icon in the top right-hand corner of the screen.
- Under My Account, click on “Password.”
- If you know your password, type it in to set a new one.
- Then, create your new password.
- If you don’t know your password, click on “Forgot your password?”
- Choose whether you want to reset your password using your phone or email.
- If you choose phone, enter your mobile number and click “Continue.”
- Choose whether you want Snapchat to send a verification code by texting or calling you.
- Enter the code after you receive it.
- Create your new password.
Why won’t Snapchat let me change my password?
The only two ways that Snapchat won’t be able to grant you access to changing your password are:
- If the email you provide isn’t associated with the account.
- You don’t know the phone number or email that is associated with the account.
The reason is that it makes it seem like you aren’t the owner of the account of which you’re trying to change the password.
How to Change My Eyes Only Password on Snapchat
If you’re familiar with the My Eyes Only feature on Snapchat, then you’re probably aware that you also have a password associated with that.
If don’t know what it is, it’s exactly what it sounds like. It’s a private album you can add Snaps to that only you want to see.
The first time you add Snaps to My Eyes Only, you’ll be asked to provide a 4-digit passcode. If you forget your password or want to change it, click the “Options” button in the bottom right-hand corner.
After you create your password for your My Eyes Only, be sure to write it down somewhere so you don’t forget it. If you do, Snapchat won’t be able to recover it for you and you will lose all of the Snaps that you have saved in the folder.
How to Change Password on Snapchat on Desktop
Unfortunately, Snapchat doesn’t offer the option for users to change their passwords from a desktop. The only way that you can go about resetting your password is through the way we discussed above using the app.
How to Create a Strong Snapchat Password
Your Snapchat password, along with every other password you create, should be creative and long enough so no one can guess it. Keep some of these tips in mind when resetting or creating your new password:
- Include both upper and lower case letters.
- Include symbols, numbers, and special characters.
- Use a minimum of 8 characters and a maximum of 20.
- Make it something you will remember, but something no one will be able to guess.
Refreshing your passwords on your social media accounts every once in a while is a great way to ensure no one can hack into your account. Having a good, strong, and creative password is the first step in protecting your social media identity and account.
Take what you’ve learned from this blog post and decide if it’s time for you to reset your password. If you’re on a roll with changing your passwords, follow these links to change your Facebook password, Instagram password, or TikTok password.