12 Dec How To Delete Your Instagram Account
Do you need some time to unplug from Instagram (or social media in general)? If you’re going on a temporary social media cleanse or looking to permanently remove yourself from Instagram and other platforms, you’re not alone. While social media may be a great outlet to connect with friends and follow your favorite celebrities, many users are choosing to unplug due to the FOMO-inducing qualities of social media.
Before you delete your Instagram account, you should understand your options. If you’re not sure if you want to permanently close out your account, there is the option to deactivate your Instagram as well.
Deactivating Instagram vs. Deleting Instagram
We all get frustrated with social media sometimes, but before you make a rash decision to go off the grid, consider deactivating your Instagram instead. Deactivating your account temporarily disables your account, making it invisible but still saving your profile.
When you disable your Instagram account, your profile, photos, comments, and likes are hidden from other users. If and when you reactivate your Instagram account, your information will reappear. Deactivating Instagram will only temporarily hide your information, saving it for when you decide to come back.
Deleting your Instagram, on the other hand, totally deletes your information. Your profile, photos, comments, and likes will disappear permanently, and your account cannot be reactivated. If you want to come back to Instagram after deleting your account, you’ll have to start from scratch. If you make a brand new Instagram, you cannot use the same username as before.
How to Deactivate Your Instagram
For a temporary break from the world of social media, follow these simple steps to deactivate your Instagram account:
- Log into Instagram on a computer or on a mobile browser – you cannot deactivate your account on the Instagram app.
- Go to your profile page by clicking the icon in the top right corner.
- Click “Edit Profile” next to your account name.
- Click “Temporarily disable my account” in the bottom right corner.
- A page will appear asking, “Why are you disabling your account” – you’ll have to pick an option from the drop-down menu and re-enter your password to continue.
- Click “Temporarily disable my account” to confirm.
How to Reactivate Your Instagram Account
To reactivate your Instagram account after you’ve temporarily disabled it, simply log back in and your page will appear the same as you left it. Make sure you don’t forget your password during your Instagram hiatus.
How to Permanently Delete Your Instagram Account
Before you delete your Instagram, consider saving photos or downloading your information before it’s gone forever. To download your information before deleting, simply go to “Settings” > “Data Download” and follow the steps to request your download.
If you’re committed to totally unplugging from Instagram, follow these steps to permanently delete your account:
- Follow this link to the Delete Your Account page. If you aren’t already logged in, you will be prompted to enter your username and password. You must do this on a desktop or mobile browser – you can’t delete your account on the Instagram app.
- Select an option from the drop down menu next to the question, “Why are you deleting your account?” and re-enter your password.
- Click “Permanently delete my account” to confirm.