23 Nov How To Change Your Name on Facebook
Facebook plays an indispensable part in our everyday life as a close-knit community where we can share our stories. Whether you update because you recently got married or simply have a new nickname to share, the instructions to update your name on Facebook are fairly straightforward. In this post, we’ll show you a step-by-step guide to do it both on desktop and mobile.
Restrictions on Facebook Names
Before changing your name, it is necessary to understand some name standards on Facebook which are created to ensure users display their real names. Basically, you should avoid using:
- Titles of any kind such as Dr., Mr., Mrs., Lord
- Unusual punctuation, symbols, capitalization, numbers or characters such as “John Sm1th”
- Characters from different languages
- Suggestive or offensive words of any type
- Phrases or words in place of your name
8 Simple Steps To Change Your Name on Facebook
- After logging into your Facebook account, click on the inverted triangle icon in the top right side of your New Feeds. For mobile users, you should tap the “More” icon with 3 horizontal lines on the top right part of the display (Android) or bottom right part of the display (iPhone).
- In the drop-down menu, click on “Settings”. If you are using an Android device, skip this step.
- Click on the “General” tab, which is located on the top left side of the site
- At the top of the “General” tab, click on “Edit” or any parts of the “Name” row
- On the “Name” section, type your preferred last name, middle name, and first name in the Last, Middle, and First field respectively. The middle name is optional. Keep in mind that you can’t change your name again for 60 days. Also, be sure to avoid adding any random words, punctuation characters, or unusual capitalization.
- Click the “Review Change” button under the “Name” section.
- On the pop-up menu, choose how your name will be displayed on your profile. There will be two options. If you type Steven and Gerrard in the first and last name fields, it might appear as “Steven Gerrard” or “Gerrard Steven”. The selected option will have a white tick symbol inside a blue circle.
- Once you are happy with the new name, enter your Facebook’s password in the box, then click on the “Save Changes” box to finish. Navigate back to the Home page and now you will see your new name on your Facebook’s profile.
Other Things To Keep In Mind
In addition to these name standards, here are a few things you need to know:
- The name on your Facebook profile should be one that your friends or family call you in everyday life. Also, it should appear on your ID or other documents such as driver’s license, passport, marriage certificate, or birth certificate.
- You can have another name on your account, such as a professional name, nickname, or maiden name.
- Nicknames could be used as your middle or first name when they are a variation of the real name, like Bob and Robert.